When Stephen Fry asked Bill Goldman what Robert Redford was really like, the answer was "what would you be like if you hadn’t heard the word “no” for 30 years?"*
Superstars are important. They do important things - like sing, and dance, and act, and (if you're a superstar DJ) pretend to push buttons on stage. They should have everything that they need, and desire, in order to accomplish such mean feats. And who are we, mere mortals, to deny them.
Here's a selection of crazy.
Steve Aoki is a super important, superstar DJ.
As you'd expect, his list is as extensive as it is specific - here's a snippet...
What I expect to see on Marilyn Manson's tour rider:
What is actually on Marilyn Manson's tour rider:
Well played Marilyn - brought it home at the end.
The infamous 53 page rider that started the madness
The brown M&Ms clause was a clever strategy to ensure that promoters had read, and followed the whole contract. The show was huge & complex, so getting one thing wrong could ruin the show or put people's lives at risk. If brown M&Ms were ignored, then most likely more critical items had been too.
You don't get to be the Queen of Pop by settling for 2nd best, or allowing crew members to look you in the eye.
Here's some of her Highness's craziest requests (allegedly...)
Of course Mariah was going to headline the crazy riders list. Here's a selection of the crazy over the years.
Good grief, people are just the worst sometimes...
Actually, fuck it, I want in on this action. So here's my list of demands for any public appearances:
1. Every item on the vegetarian menu to be flown in from Little Yang Sing in Manchester, UK
2. Puppies, lots of puppies, all the puppies!
3. 1 pair Converse trainers, 1 pair Dr Martens in dark purple, 3 pairs cashmere bed socks
4. Veggie haribo gummy bears, and no green ones. God help you if I find 1 green bear...
5. PS4 with GTA5, Bioshock Infinite & Wipeout
6. Let's talk entourage - masseuse, private chef, yoga instructor, local troubadour
7. Bottle of wine from every Waiheke vineyard
8. Clawfoot bathtub with a hamper from Lush
9. "Robin Williams clause" - 10 homeless people to be hired & trained as crew, and to be kept on for minimum 6 months after gig
10. Full disco room to be set up with light up dance floor, purple mirror ball, and a continuous, but light, sprinkling of elephant shaped confetti
*More Fool Me: A Memoir - Stephen Fry